Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: WTF ? Second blown gasket on Kami header

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JRCivic:
    ...there is NO evidence that the Kazi performs any better than the DC. The truth is that they are really tit-for-tat.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Where was this opinion 5 months ago when I traded my stainless steel one piece RSR 4-2-1 for a Kami + $50?!?!?

    Haven't folks gotten decent gains from Kami's at high boost level?

    I figure mine is doing a little better than the RSR, since I was running essentially the same 1/4 mile times with the Kami and full exhaust as I was with the RSR and my exhaust cutout open (open header basically).

    BTW, my Kami has a support bracket at the back of the block.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member SuperTeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2001
    Posts
    328
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has anyone tried the copper gasket from Mr.Gasket? It appears to be of good quality. It's also pretty thick.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member bnfoster's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2002
    Posts
    61
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    First post. I've monitored this board for a while but never thought I could really contribute until now.

    Heed Jim's advice. Get rid of the Kami.

    I tried different muffler shops, different gaskets (including the ultra thick aluminum), listened to different opinions, had the support bracket welded on, and had the bolts torqued so tight that ALL of them broke when they were removed. I suppose welding the sucker might work, though.

    My new DC Sports 4-2-1 works just fine AND I can't smell it. If anybody wants a Kami for cheap...

    Thanks to all for your questions, answers, insight, bitching and everything else that educates.

    Special thanks to Motorvations Motorsports. When I had my oil changed, one of the guys said "This must be that GSR I heard about". Must be that Magic Pulley.

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Max Psi GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 1999
    Posts
    860
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 2kbill:
    Hmmm. Wonder why mine doesn't blow out - it's been on for a year, used locknuts, metallic gasket, and fabbed a lower bracket.</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I guess the bracket works.....i guess.

    As for HOLDENS querry on "top end gains", yea i think i felt something in the 7,000 to redline range....not really a "range" in my opinion though. [img]confused.gif[/img]

    I ended up GIVING my kamikaze away.........that is, after i used the downpipe to help break lose one of my axle nuts! Woooo Hooooo, a 219$ breaker bar!! LOL!

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 1999
    Posts
    795
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I installed my DC header on the Honda I installed an aftermarket copper gasket. The nuts kept backing off. One day a nut backed off and blew the gasket. I replaced the gasket with an OEM gasket and reinstalled the nuts with loctite and lock washers. I NEVER had a problem again with nuts backing off or blowing gaskets.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member 2kbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2001
    Posts
    188
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm. Wonder why mine doesn't blow out - it's been on for a year, used locknuts, metallic gasket, and fabbed a lower bracket.

  7. #17
    Inactive Member klintman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 21st, 2001
    Posts
    319
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    kami = poop .

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Greg,

    I TRIED to tell you... apparently, you didn't get my "hint".
    Just to clarify: I am not suggesting that some cars may not get some HP gains from the addition of a KAZI header. On the contrary, I have seen a few ponies gained in the upper rpm range on cars with "marginal" tunes...
    However, I have NOT seen any KAZI headered GSR/Si/R cars that make more HP than a DC 4-2-1 in an excellent state of tune.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member -TJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2000
    Posts
    94
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    comparing apples and oranges....the Kami works well on my D16A6. I too blew out 2 paper gaskets before switching to a copper unit - I believe it was a Mororso, picked up at the local V8 speed shop. Knock on wood, I haven't had any problems yet.
    Also, to keep stresses off of that junction, it's a must to weld on the OE bracket which subsequently bolts to the bellhousing area of the block/tranny. I also welded on the vertical rear support at the collector.
    Foolish to think that all the weight of your exhaust system is not going to flex the upper/lower junction of any header (unless it's a trailer queen/show car). I can't believe Kami doesn't have the brackets welded on already.

    As for it's performance, sounds like the Kami doesn't favor the B series motors...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •